Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens to preceding ships which cannot follow AO and maintain line
Hi Mario

thx for producing such a wonderful game series "Admirals Orders" .My friend from england has a copy brought from Essen and has introduced me to it.Accurate /simple and very exciting! hugely enjoyed the game
WE have one rule query and im wondering if you are able to assist in clarification? ref ships unable to maintain line formation because lead ship moved to far ahead!!(second ship had one mast down not spotted!).All were under Admirals orders lead ship on 1.5 FAO point rest on 1 point inline AO ,at the moment we are assuming all follow ships will lose The follow AO command immediately and will have to replace with captains at the ready
be great if you could confirm we are doing this right!

CHEERS
Paul
Hi Paul,
I think you are doing it right.
When the line is interrupted, the rest of the "In Line Captains Orders" are getting "At the readdy" with all consequences in doing Broadsides and playing for each ship a extra "Full sails". The line dosn't exist any more.

Ahoi,
Kurzi
Mast und Schotbruch,
Euer Kurzi
(17th Nov 2016, 22:33)Kurzi Wrote: Hi Paul,
I think you are doing it right.
When the line is interrupted, the rest of the "In Line Captains Orders" are getting "At the readdy" with all consequences in doing Broadsides and playing for each ship a extra "Full sails". The line dosn't exist any more.

Ahoi,
Kurzi

cheers Bro ,quite a catastrophe  in the circumstances! ,lesson to be learned here  for sure which is Check the lines ability to follow the lead ship before committing the lead ship movement!
Hi Paul,

looks like Kurzi was faster in answering the thread, than me in just coping my email Wink .

For all: Paul asked me the same question in an email before, and I asked him to place it in the forum.
So here is my original answer:

But now to your question:
Let me rephrase the question, to be sure to get it right.

You have a squadron with a leading ship.
The leading ship receives "Follow AO", the next ships receive "Inline AO".
All ships are in inline-formation to their precursor.

When the squadron is activated the leading ship should be activated and moved first.

Let's assume there are no cards available to slow down the leading ship (e.g. by playing Backing Sails) and it has to move all its MPs (e.g. 6 MP).

Now the second ship is activated, but if there is no way to stay in touch to the first ship (e.g. by playing More Sails) and there is no way to end the movement within an inline-formation to the leading ship, this ship loses the privileges of it's Captains Order ("Inline AO") and is reduced to "At the Ready". This causes that all benefits given by the Admiral's Order Card are negated.

Now we have a kind of a domino-effect:
Because this ship now doesn’t have it's Captains Order "Inline AO" any longer, also the following ships are not allowed to keep their "Inline AO" any longer, because they are not following a ship with the required Captain's Order ("Follow AO" or "Inline AO")

So this is really a disaster and you should try to avoid such a situation and to keep the line together as good as you can.
Typically it is easily possible to avoid it, by not executing the original plan with the first ship. Simply go slower and stay in the same direction. Just do everything to make it easier for the second ship to follow in line.

Let's say your Admiral's Order was "Tacking".
Instead of performing the Bear Up and Bear Away for the first ship, you would prefer simply to ignore the benefit given by the Admiral, move straight and keep the line, instead of dividing your squadron into two parts or to have ships going in different directions.

Also remember that a single played "More Sails" typically allows as many ships as you have in this line, to keep the speed.
So the first moves with 6MP (in our example), then the second follows with 4+2MP and easily stays in touch.

This is normally quite simple, with ships still having two masts. It slows down the overall speed, but it works fine.
The situation becomes much trickier, with only one mast left.
In this case, you should consider to remove the ship from your line, in order not to block the other ships.

But the most effective way to avoid such situations, is to place the right Captains Orders from the beginning. For example you can have more than one leading ships, if you have sufficient CPs available.

I guess this question would be a good one for our forum.
If you like, please get registered and raise the question again.
I will then copy my answer in there.
This way also other players can benefit from you question.

Thank you very much.

Alles Gute
Mario