Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do chase guns work?
Every time I read the manual I seem to notice and appreciate a new rule (it's amazing what you skip over when you first start this game - like I didn't appreciate the Full Sails/More Sails rules and their exceptions, but now I understand these).

I had no idea that my frigates can fire chase guns?

So, it looks like frigates (and any ship) can fire at ships that are within the stern or bow arcs, as long as there is a line of sight.  And these guns fire at a range of 12.  I don't think 12 is specifically stated as a range (and perhaps needs to be added in to the manual?), but I can count it on the diagram on page 20.  

I think, this rule is quite hidden and also not explained in full detail. 

I think I'd have expected 5.2.3 to be more closer to the firing section in the manual, its only a page away, but the order seems to go - artillery fire, ship repair, chase guns.  Chase guns being closer to artillery fire would make sense to me.  I know it's hard to order as it's a special maneuver.

So, I'm assuming my frigates can use chase guns, and my next question is:

Can frigates move AND fire broadside AND use their ONE special maneuver to fire the chase guns AS WELL? 

And secondly, can I use chase guns at ANY point during the move, or at a certain point (i.e. start or end?).  So, I could move, fire broadside, move use a chase gun, and finally move again.  

And thirdly, chase guns do NOT account for one of the three movement turns allowed on a 3 mast ship? As they are a separate special maneuver?
Well, it's quite simple: If you can "pay" them, you can use them.
But they are quite expensive. You need to discard a "Special Manoeuvre".
And if you look at the Chase Gun Table, it is typically not much you might hit.
However this is sometimes exactly what is needed...

Long time I thought about a restriction, that only one Chase Gun can be used per ship, per activation.
But It never turned out to be a problem. I can't remember a single game where somebody was willing to spend two Special Manoeuvres at once. And even if... why not. He paid the price...

Alles Gute
   Mario
Huhu,
be careful, you can use a Special Maneuver Card for only one maneuver that is writen there.
but you can use several SM-Cards per turn.
Mast und Schotbruch,
Euer Kurzi
Thanks for this, so, just to clarify: Chase guns can be fired multiple times per turn (as many as you have special cards), though the repair function is still limited to one repair per ship activation (either beginning OR end of turn).  I think I got this now!

Thank you,
Admiral Inwood
(30th Apr 2016, 12:59)AdmiralInwood Wrote: Thanks for this, so, just to clarify: Chase guns can be fired multiple times per turn (as many as you have special cards), though the repair function is still limited to one repair per ship activation (either beginning OR end of turn).  I think I got this now!

Thank you,
Admiral Inwood

Yes, Sir. That's the way the rule is meant. Smile

Now I'm afraid, in our battle "Minerve vs. Lowestoffe", I will soon be your first target, if you let your bow chaser gun crew practice there skills....
Who knows, it is if I have the right card, don't see it fit for a better use (surely repair may be better..), if I think its worth trying for a R or #.  We will see Smile

In the mean time, I was completing another Blanche v LaPique, not so happy I couldn't replicate the real result other games, so I will try again.  Smile Think I've hit the limit of what I want to do with playing that scenario for now, but it was a good game still and perhaps a report will be to follow.

Now, I will turn my attention back to VASSAL.  I want to focus on a 2v2 frigate battle, and then move on to squadron, close combat, and finally the larger scenarios.