Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third Ever Game (Solo) : Admiral Inwood Blanche v La Pique simple rules VIDEO FOOTAGE
I have now completed my third play through of Admiral's Order: All Hands!  

Yet again a lot of new things learnt.   

- I used to draw cards at the point of ship activation.  Now I realize you calculate the CV at the 'start' of the turn.  So now in my new games I play : Draw initiative, deal appropriate number of cards to highest>lowest initiative ships, then activate all ships turn by turn.  Hope this is correct order?

- I didn't even realize you could do a bow rake until I noticed it in the chart.  Now I know you can target either the stern or bow, but the stern is still the strongest rake.

And for strategy:

- Never leave your ship so the French can end their turn on a 1 hex bow direct rake, and then next turn get the first initiative to do another immediate fire, another 1 hex bow direct rake... !

I would estimate that 90%+ of the basic rules I now understand.

It was not until a 2 frigate v 2 frigate battle that I realized the importance of Full Sails.  I also didn't realize that with Full Sails you have to roll on a additional chart which can actually increase your movement another 2 MP.  So, potentially, a frigate can end up with 5 MP extra if playing full sails at the start of turn.

I was playing the midshipman rules, and my camera skills are also midshipman.  But I have big and exciting plans and vision for how I want to build up to Trafalgar and make the Trafalgar play through something special, so I'll see how that goes.

Hope the videos may help someone or offer enjoyment:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...CrJ9Krq-fV

If you enjoy the videos, please do subscribe to my channel.  I'll have to work out how to make further play through's more interesting and no doubt the play will become quicker.
Huhu & Ahoi,
congratulation to this nice films!
I enjoj to see them, and hear your explaining.
I learned the rules by Mario and so I am happy that the Rule book explains the same.

But in the first film "Blanche vs La pique" at ca. 12:30 you made a basic mistake while tacking through the wind.
you played 2 bear away to do so, but you need one bear up to put the bow in the wind and another bear away to put it out of the wind.
This mistake is often made by beginners. I explained AO a lot while testplaying at the Fairtrade in Essen and a lot of players comes there in trouble.

All the best,
Kurzi
Mast und Schotbruch,
Euer Kurzi
(26th Apr 2016, 15:11)Kurzi Wrote: Huhu & Ahoi,
congratulation to this nice films!
I enjoj to see them, and hear your explaining.
I learned the rules by Mario and so I am happy that the Rule book explains the same.

But in the first film "Blanche vs La pique" at ca. 12:30 you made a basic mistake while tacking through the wind.
you played 2 bear away to do so, but you need one bear up to put the bow in the wind and another bear away to put it out of the wind.
This mistake is often made by beginners. I explained AO a lot while testplaying at the Fairtrade in Essen and a lot of players comes there in trouble.

All the best,
Kurzi

Thank you for this, I will have to review again the move as it's something I didn't spot on my play through and watch back Smile.  I did spot a number of errors, but I'm not so worried about minor issues.  In the final video you will see I mention in passing some of the errors.

As I mention in the videos I hope nobody uses them as an 'instructional' video, it's purely to show a beginners play session to get a feel for how the game might play.  Hopefully offering something to prospective buyers and established players.  As with all games I pick up early, I always watch back and know in the explanations I make mistakes, or see things after the event.  Some of this is due to trying to play fast to keep the videos going Smile.

This is only my 4th set of videos for YouTube that I have ever created.  I know that there are a lot of things I want to do to improve them, and I have many ideas, so, keep watching... Smile But I think I am going to get some new software and equipment first, and then will focus more on quality of videos than quantity, and I want to try and make it more appealing as they are far too long, so will look to inject more excitement and condense the content.  I have many ideas for this I am excited about producing.

All best!
Admiral Inwood.
From the reply I couldn't find the exact footage across the 4 videos. However, it clicked in my mind exactly what you mean now!

It was obvious if I was playing into the wind I had to use an opposite card to get out, as this is clearly stated as an exception in the rules (the only time you can turn twice in a hex).

It should have clicked that the opposite must be true.  If you play one card to put your bow into the wind, and want to carry on moving the same way, you have to play the opposite card - just as you would if facing the wind.  It's easy to understand when put like that.

If, as you point out, this is a common error, may be worth adding to latest rules as a note?  Around the same time the into the wind rule is explained.

I think this happens primarily during movement or when under time pressure.  Because if you start the turn facing directly away from the wind, it should be easier to visualize.

Thank you again for increasing my understanding.
Don't worry, everything is good.
The point that the film must go on I understand very well.
there is no time to look in the rule book at all.

You are "autodidakting" this game and you make it in a very good way.
That the moves of the ships are not always the best in this situation, doesn't matter.

You are playing this game with so much enthusiasm,
and you show this to other people.
Thank you for that.
Mast und Schotbruch,
Euer Kurzi